Exclusive: First Look at Teddy Newton’s Day & Night

Share Button

I’m excited to be the first place in the world to debut this exclusive still from writer/director Teddy Newton’s new short, Day & Night. This still really shows off the 2D characters of Day & Night and the 3D images inside. The short will make its debut alongside Toy Story 3 on June 18th in North America. Day & Night is produced by Kevin Reher with music by Michael Giacchino.

To refresh your memory, here’s the summary of the short:

When Day, a sunny fellow, encounters Night, a stranger of distinctly darker moods, sparks fly! Day and Night are frightened and suspicious of each other at first, and quickly get off on the wrong foot. But as they discover each other’s unique qualities–and come to realize that each of them offers a different window onto the same world–the friendship helps both to gain a new perspective.

I’m also pleased to present this recent photo of Teddy Newton courtesy of Pixar and their photographer extraordinaire Debby Coleman.

Are you excited for Pixar’s latest short? Share your thoughts on Day & Night and Teddy Newton.

This entry was posted in Pixar News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Exclusive: First Look at Teddy Newton’s Day & Night

1. Brian says:

I cannot wait! This should be good!

2. Praggya says:

Oh yey! How appropriate that the short is about two people who are suspicious of each other, then get to know one another and form a friendship….*hint hint: Buzz and Woody*….can't wait!!

3. Pixartalk says:

As I've said, this short is truly mind blowing. Teddy is a genius.
    Pure and simple.

4. Pixartalk says:

Good point. It's more “complex” than that, but that is a fair
    comparison.

5. Thanks for breaking the news! It's an exciting picture. I cannot wait to see the short. The 18th is gonna be a good day :-]

6. Rock Golf says:

Well, it's hard to tell from a single 2D frame of a 3D film, but I suspect this could be more fun than the Tom Cruise/Cameron Diaz film “Knight & Day”, also coming out this summer.

7. Nick says:

I've loved Teddy Newton's work ever since the spoof of the old duck-and-cover Cold War instructional films in The Iron Giant, and have been waiting for him to helm his own project at Pixar ever since he went over with Brad Bird and company. I couldn't be more excited about this short.

8. Pixartalk says:

My pleasure Jeremy. Thanks for joining the conversation and for visiting the site!

Greg Mariotti
    Pixar Talk – A blog dedicated to all things Pixar

9. mahee pal says:

Hah!! They still come up with stuff like this. Can't wait 8D

10. haroldflynn says:

Interesting. How did they do the workflow on the 2D part? Employed a few inbetweeners? Outsourced to Korea? Questions, questions…

11. Pixartalk says:

all the animation (the 2 characters) and the 3D images were done in house by Pixar…it needs to seen to be believed :)

Greg Mariotti
    Pixar Talk – A blog dedicated to all things Pixar

12. richperrotti says:

This looks amazing! Is it as funny as “Presto” perhaps? That remains my fondest “guilty pleasure” among all of the Pixar shorts.

13. Pixartalk says:

No. Probably not as funny. It's wholly original, clever, cute and
    thought provoking too!

14. Wow can't wait… looks awesome! I'll be at the Annecy Animation Film Festival and just found out there will be a screening on the 11th of June (world premiere)… Hope I can get tickets!

15. Pixartalk says:

Hi Clementine. that's really cool. I couldn't find Day & Night listed non the Annecy website..can you help me out as I'd like to post that info on the site.

thanks

Greg Mariotti
    Pixar Talk – A blog dedicated to all things Pixar

16. Claudio says:

Sparks fly between two guys?? Ok maybe that Teddy Newton is gay and all but now I doubt my kids will see the new Toy Story movie. That night character is admiring the day's physique and staring directly at his crotch?? I said I doubted..now i KNOW my kids wont watch the movie!

17. Pixartalk says:

That's not the case at all. He's just trying to look at the other
    character scene. This is very kid friendly.

18. Looks great! Thanks for sharing :)

19. Rose says:

wow, what huge conclusion jumping- the picture does not look that way at all. But, hey, if that's what you saw.. perhaps a visit to the optometrist is in order?

20. Ari says:

Night is staring at the jets, not the crotch. Seriously, where is your mind.

21. Brian says:

What a horrible, Ignorant comment to leave. I didn't that impression at all.

I had no doubts about the movie before, and if anything, this makes me want to see it even more so!

22. Hi Greg!
    Here's the link to the website page I got the info from:

23. Pixartalk says:

Cool. Thanks Clementine!

24. Omar says:

Awesome, Teddy's designs are gorgeous…they remind me of Al Hirschfeld and yet…still unique. I am glad Pixar went 2d for this short…hopefully they'll do a full 2d feature in the future. Those are my hopes though. Although the 3d films are still awesome.

25. Dave says:

Wow – I'd expect Pixar Fanboism here, but to this extent is a hilarious.

Don't know how everyone get's all moist over a single “ok” image and a relatively standard plot synop', but more power to ya'.

26. Gerty says:

I saw this in it's entirety today, and a few words come to mind…. violent, disturbing, preachy, completely inappropriate for young children…. basically I hated it, and booed it when it was over.

27. Pixartalk says:

Gerty. I respect your opinion. Teddy's style Is not for everyone. I
    thought the violence and humor was tamer than most Bugs Buuny
    cartoons. The message about getting to know people that are different
    than you before you judge them is a good one.
    Thanks again for your honest thoughts.

28. Ginger says:

This is one of the most phenomenal shorts I have ever experienced. The message was conveyed in such a unique way. I can't wait to purchase it and share it with my co-workers, family and friends. A perfect way to re-inforce diversity, respect and understanding – THANK YOU MR. NEWTON!

29. Kellie Wise says:

I loved Day and night. I was mind blowing.. truly

30. Cory says:

I absolutely loved the quote at the end.

31. Pixartalk says:

Me too. Someone needs to transcribe it.

32. Lily says:

I love this short movie! So heartwarming and uplifting! :) but I think the distributors didn't give subtitles here in Indonesia. such a shame cause most kids watching haven't been able to read English that fast. still love it tho' :)

33. Guest says:

what was the quote at the end?

34. Pixartalk says:

Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

35. Gam says:

Gave me goosebumps. Beautifully done. Thank you – still thinking about this days later – saw TS3 this past Sunday.

36. Blessed says:

It was really good in it's originiality & the graphics were amazing, but i thought the it was a bit innapproriate in how the women in bikini's were objectified. I'm a mother of a 6 year old boy trying to instill respect for women and this did not do that.