Born in Escondido, CA, Rob Gibbs grew up just north of San Diego in Valley Center. He grew up loving to draw and was the resident artist at his junior high. After he discovered the character animation program at the California Institute of the Arts he was determined to turn his passions into a career.
Rob attended Palomar College for two years before transferring to CalArts to study character animation. After graduation, Rob started work at Disney Feature Animation as a storyboard artist. He spent five years at Disney, working on films such as Pocahontas, The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue, and Fantasia 2000.
Rob’s first exposure to Pixar came while at the Spike and Mike animation festival. He saw the shorts Tin Toy, Knick Knack, and Red’s Dream. Seeing those shorts and then Toy Story, convinced Rob there was something special happening at Pixar.
In 1998, Rob began work at Pixar as a storyboard artist on Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc. Rob helped develop the story for the DVD short Mike’s New Car along with Pete Docter, Jeff Pidgeon, and Roger Gould, and worked as a storyboard artist for Finding Nemo, Jack-Jack Attack, Cars, and Up. In between projects, Rob was asked to create storyboards for the Cars world. The concepts he developed would become the inspiration for Cars Toons, and would also land him in the director’s chair.
Rob is currently a director at Pixar, developing material primarily for the Cars franchise. He has directed or co-directed 10 episodes of Mater’s Tall Tales. His directorial credits include Tokyo Mater, Time Travel Mater, and Heavy Metal Mater. Rob also directed the short Air Mater, the first short produced by Pixar Canada. The studio is primarily responsible for contributing new material to both the Cars and Toy Story franchises. Working primarily in Emeryville, Rob continues to work in collaboration with Pixar Canada on new Cars shorts.
Rob currently lives in the Bay Area with his family.
- Boon (voice actor)
- Ferngully: The Last Rainforest (animator)
- Cool World (assistant animation coordinator)
- Alapalooza: The Videos (animator)
- Pocahontas (story)
- Toto Lost in New York (storyboard clean up)
- Life With Louie (storyboard artist)
- The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue (storyboard artist)
- Loose Tooth (animator)
- Fantasia 2000 (story development)
- Toy Story 2 (story artist)
- Atlantis (additional story artist)
- Monsters, Inc. (story artist)
- Mike’s New Car (story)
- Finding Nemo (story artist)
- Jack-Jack Attack (story artist)
- Cars (story artist)
- Tokyo Mater (co-director)
- Up (story artist)
- Mater’s Tall Tales (story artist, director)
- Hawaiian Vacation (character design)
- Brave (animation shot support; character modeling and articulation artist)
- His daughter Mary was the voice of boo in Monsters, Inc.
- He is the brother of composer Richard Gibbs.
- Live for Films – November, 2011
- Pixar Talk – October, 2011
- Tribute Canada – June, 2011
- Yahoo! Movies – October, 2011