Victor Navone was born on November 2, 1970 in San Diego, CA. He graduated from the University of California, Irvine in 1993 where he majored in Studio Art. He spent a year of his time in college studying abroad in France where he traveled and enrolled in art classes that were instructed in French.
Victor started his career with two jobs. One at In Color where he digitally colored comic books and the other at Digital Design Simulations where he got a small introduction to 3D computer graphics doing visualizations of architectural and engineering projects. In 1994, he interned at Presto Studios, a small game developer in San Diego where he did work on Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time. Victor’s internship turned into a full time position and he found himself as the Creative Director on Gundam 0079, an anime-based title for Bandai.
While at Presto Studios, Victor started to teach himself character animation in his spare time. This led to his short film, Alien Song that gained popularity online. In 1999, Victor left Presto Studios and moved to the Bay Area hoping to find new challenges and to work in films. He took some freelance visual effects work for the movie Titan AE. Victor’s Alien Song made it’s way to Pixar and by the end of the year they contacted him. He joined Pixar in March, 2000 as a full time animator and has done work on Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Walle-E, Up, and Toy Story 3. Victor has also done some work on Pixar short films, including co-directing the Tokyo Mater, El Materdor, Mater the Greater and Rescue Squad Mater.
Most recently, Victor worked on Brave, helped out with some additional animation work on Monsters University and is currently handling supervising animation duties on Pete Docter’s Inside Out.
- Titan AE (2000) (digital artist)
- Monsters, Inc. (2001) (animator)
- Mike’s New Car (2002) (animator)
- Finding Nemo (2003) (animator)
- Boundin’ (2003) (animator)
- Exploring the Reef (2003) (animator)
- The Incredibles (2004) (animator)
- Cars (2006) (animator)
- Mater and the Ghostlight (2006) (animator)
- WALL-E (2008) (animator)
- Tokyo Mater (2008) (co-director)
- El Materdor (2008) (co-director)
- Mater the Greater (2008) (co-director)
- Rescue Squad Mater (2008) (co-director)
- Toy Story 3 (2010) (animator)
- Cars 2 (2011) (animator)
- Brave (2012) (animator)
- Monsters University (2013) (additional animation)
- Inside Out (2015) (supervising animator)
- Victor is married with two daughters.
- Victor enjoys eastern cultures and is a big anime fan.
- In 2008, he won a VES award for “Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Motion Picture” for WALL-E. He shared the award with designer Jay Shuster, modeler/articulator Austin Lee, and legendary sound designer Ben Burtt.
- Don’t miss Victor’s Official Blog. You’ll find his thoughts, galleries and more.
- CG Society(with Carlos Baena) – July, 2003
- Planit 3D – April, 2009
- MSN (with Rob Gibbs) – October, 2009
- Strut Your Reel – February, 2008