Release Date: November 1989
Running Time: 3 minutes 35 seconds
Original Music by: Bobby McFerrin
Written By: John Lasseter
Directed by: John Lasseter
- After Tin Toy, John Lasseter really wanted to make a cartoon. Something that was fun and filled with gags like a throw back to the Chuck Jones Looney Tunes and the old Tex Avery cartoons at Warner Bros. and MGM.
- It was originally shown in 3-D at the 1988 SIGGRAPH Animation Show.
- This is one of the last pieces that John Lasseter would personally animate.
- It was also shown with the theatrical release of Finding Nemo in 2003 and in 2006 with the Disney Digital 3-D theatrical re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- For its 2003 re-release, a more family friendly version was shown and both the Sunbather and Mermaid were “re-sized”. Comparisons below:
- Lasseter had this to say about the alterations in The Art of Pixar Short Films: “It wasn’t big bad Disney coming in and insisting we do this … it was our own choice. It was just crossing the line for me personally as a father, so I made the decision to reduce (these characters’) breast size.”
- There was a Knick Knack bank available for a limited time at the Pixar Company store.
- Here’s a few storyboards/sketches: